Sunday, March 02, 2008

Colouring Book Theatre : Planet of the Apes

planet of the apes Colouring Book Today's colouring book is courtesy of Sharry AKA Hardygirl on the megomuseum boards, a real kindred spirit when it comes to colouring books.

This is an Artcraft/Saalfield colouring book on one of my favourite subjects of all time, Planet of the Apes.

Even though the first movie deals with a lot of adult themes, we as kids seem to really eat it up. My own kids like Planet of the Apes now. Never underestimate the appeal of taking primates I guess.

According to Sharry the original cost of this book was $0.39, she got it for $3 because some of the pages have been (well) coloured. Personally, I think a few coloured pages adds to the charm but I'm also a fan of store stickers being on the toys I buy.





planet of the apes colouring book

Theis evening the part of Taylor will be played by Kris Kristofferson.






If I recall this scene correctly, these soldier apes were posing in front the carcasses of slaughtered humans. Artcraft chose to leave that out making this more of a scene you'd see in an Ape's high school year book.




The art is pretty spot on most of the time and Sharry tells me the story is pretty faithful to the movie with a few exceptions.



planet of the apes colouring book


How many colouring books have court scenes?


It's a mad house! A mad house!


This is an example of deviating from the movie, Taylor gagged in the court scene. Not surprising, this is a colouring book, don't need him filibustering.

As is this, guess they didn't want to include Lucious. I don't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it (It's a real shocker!)



Got a colouring book you'd like to guest review? Drop me a line!

Thanks again to Sharry for this great book!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My brother and I must have had 8 different POTA coloring books, each with a different cover, but with virtually the same pix inside!

Thanks, this brought back memories. Wonder what cover was on this one?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin